Spring has sprung, and everything’s in bloom outdoors. Why not bring a little of it inside your home? Check out these top 10 tips to get your home ready for spring. (Pictured above: Karastan stairrunner.)
1. Update Your Color Scheme: Trade out warm, wintry colors for fresh, vibrant spring shades. Consider adding new colorful accessories like vases, books and other objects to bookcases, console tables and coffee tables. Some of the hottest hues include happy yellow, jade green, lilac or lavender, ultra violet, pale aqua and vibrant blue.
2. Move It Around: Want a no-cost, simple update for spring? Try rearranging your living room furniture in a new configuration to give your space a whole new feel. If possible, orient your seating toward the outside so you have a better view of the beauty outdoors (even if it’s just a freshly potted spring planter).
3. Style Your Table: For a fresher tablescape, try layering on a cheery, patterned tablecloth (or two). Then update your centerpiece with spring-colored vases, candles and foliage. And set your table with crisp white and/or spring-colored place settings.
4. Make a Statement: Refresh your space with a new statement piece such as a bold light fixture, stunning artwork or eye-catching rug. A new rug can completely revitalize a space, bringing in more pattern and color.
5. Bring the Outside In: From blooming azaleas to simple palm leaves, add a bit of your garden to your indoor space. Those spring-colored vases scattered through your home are perfect resting spots for clippings from your garden or from neighborhood walks. Besides their visual beauty, fresh blooms can add a lovely spring scent to your home.
6. Step into the Light: Bring in lots of natural light from windows and glass-paned doors, and lighten up your fabrics as well. Trade fur throws for lightweight linen, cotton or silk. You might even consider replacing heavy curtains with sheers and dark oriental rugs with neutral, textural sisal or seagrass.
7. Choose Fabrics in Bloom: From pillows to curtains, change out any wintry fabrics like damask and velvet to fresh florals. These don’t have to be your grandma’s florals. You can choose fresh, modern takes on typical floral patterns.
8. Embrace the Simple Life: Start the new season off with a slightly simpler décor. Declutter your spaces and try eliminating accessories here and there. Pare down to just a few natural elements in your room – even if it’s just for a short period to give some “breath” to your space.
9. Clean up Your Act: A good spring cleaning will make your home feel like new. Besides an overall scrubbing, consider touching up paint and even sending out rugs for a spring cleaning. You’ll feel more relaxed and renewed in a spick-and-span space.
10. Update Your Walls: Make a spring statement on your walls, with a fresh coat of paint or new artwork to reflect the beauty outdoors. From soft pastels to bright saturated colors, paint can transform your walls, provide a lovely backdrop for bookshelves and even give a boost to your ceilings.